Regarding initial PCI configuration

Thirumalai thirumalai.p at datapatterns.co.in
Wed Aug 12 23:57:50 EST 2009

Hi,
    I need some clarification on powerpc linux-2.6.30 kernels PCI
enumeration. Please correct me if i am wrong on this. I am having mpc7448
based custom board on which i am trying to port linux 2.6.30(Note : Earlier
i have ported linux2.6.23 kernel for this board and its successfully
booted). So i have choosen mpc7448hpc2 as my model BSP. . On this the first
call to pci related thing was called. (i.e from
linux/arch/powerpc/platform/mpc7448hpc2.c/setup_arch() ) which will again
call my sysdev/tsi108_pci.c/setup_pci() function. At the end of this
function we use to call the pci_OF_process() function for assigning MEM/IO
addresses to my kernel. again this function was defined on
kernel/pci-common.c function. So here the mess starts. On this function the
code is getting pci_addr and pci_size from ranges property that i used to
pass on my device tree. But the cpu_addr whatever used will get the
translated address from prom_parse.c file. This one is always returning
0xFFFFFFFF. When we just dig into the internals i came to know that the
implementation is totally different from the previos kernel means from
linux-2.6.23 this change has come. Now the latest kernel is exhibiting the
64 bit PCI implementation. But the prom_parse.c code is designed in that
manner i think. because whenever the of_translate_addr() function is called
the function will get the parent node for getting the system bus address
information which we used to have 0xc0000000 and size 0x10000 on the device
tree. This will do for all the devices but when try to use these function
PCI mapping. This will create mess. I don't know how to go further.
    Kindly let me know any changes is required on device tree or kernel
itself to get out this problem.

Regards,
T.

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message. Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.
*********** End of Disclaimer ***********DataPatterns ITS Group**********