help with inline assembly code?

Chris Friesen cfriesen at nortel.com
Sat Apr 25 03:22:52 EST 2009

Hi,

I've got a function that is used to overwrite opcodes in order to create
self-modifying code.  It worked just fine with previous compilers, but
with gcc 4.3 it seems like it sometimes (but not always) causes problems
when inlined.  If I force it to never be inlined, it works fine.

First, here's the code:

void alter_opcode(unsigned long *addr, unsigned long opcode)
{
	asm volatile(
                 "stw    %1,0(%0)	\n\t"
                 "dcbf   0,%0		\n\t"
                 "sync			\n\t"
                 "icbi   0,%0,		\n\t"
                 "isync			\n\t"
                     :: "r" (addr), "r" (opcode): "memory");
}

The symptom of the problem is a segfault on the "stw" instruction.  I've
verified that the address it's trying to write to is the expected
address, and that the opcode being written is the expected opcode.

I assume I've mixed up the registers or constraints or
something...anyone want to take a crack at it?

Chris