removing get_immrbase()??

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Apr 24 03:03:06 EST 2009

Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:00:48AM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> Even if the given change may not break the firmware, it could force an
>> update in which a prior change breaks the firmware.
>
> I'm not sure I'm following here. Could you give an example?

1. U-boot X1 is used with kernel Y1 and device tree Z1.  All is well.
2. U-boot X2 needs device tree Z2.  Device tree Z2 goes in kernel Y2.
It will break when used with u-boot X1, so users of u-boot X1 do not
upgrade their device trees.  All is well.
3. Kernel Y3 makes a change to the device tree (now Z3) that it needs.
This change does not have u-boot compatibility issues by itself, so the
kernel developer feels confident saying "go ahead and upgrade your tree,
it should be fine".  Users of U-boot X1 pull in the latest device tree,
which includes the changes made in device tree Z2.  Breakage.

-Scott