removing get_immrbase()??

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Apr 23 05:35:24 EST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure if we can actually get away with completely removing
> get_immrbase() but I figured I'd give everyone something to flame me about.
>  The current users are:
>
> CPM/QE related users.

I'm okay with doing this for QE, but I don't see it used in any QE code.

> arch/powerpc/include/asm/cpm2.h:#define CPM_MAP_ADDR (get_immrbase() +
> 0x80000)
> arch/powerpc/sysdev/cpm2.c:     cpm2_immr = ioremap(get_immrbase(),
> CPM_MAP_SIZE);
>        these two are related and seem like we could look for "fsl,cpm2"

That's okay, as long as you don't break compatibility with older
device trees that don't have that property, unless you can demonstrate
that these trees would never work with the current kernel anyway.

I think this is a good idea, but it looks like we'll need to define a
whole bunch of new structures to replace all of the "+ offset" usages.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale