FPGA IRQ design question

Eddie Dawydiuk eddie at embeddedarm.com
Thu Apr 23 04:05:01 EST 2009

Grant,

> However, if you're writing one-off custom drivers and there is no
> common coded needed for acking irqs, then I would probably just use
> the external IRQ.

Thanks for the suggestions I think going to just use the external IRQ. As a
result I've been reading through a few different dts files to try to understand
how/where to specify this in the dts file. I see in the Yosemite dts file the
PCI bus device node has an interrupt-map-mask and an interrupt-map.

e.g.

PCI0: pci at ec000000 {
       device_type = "pci";
       /* Bamboo has all 4 IRQ pins tied together per slot */
       interrupt-map-mask = <0xf800 0x0 0x0 0x0>;
       interrupt-map = <
            /* IDSEL 1 */
            0x800 0x0 0x0 0x0 &UIC0 0x1c 0x8
};

As far as I can tell this appears to be the proper location to specify that the
PCI device(FPGA) connects an the IRQ to an external IRQ on the AMCC 440EP. I see
where the interrupt controller(e.g. &UIC0), the interrupt number(0x1C), and the
sense(0x8) of the external interrupt is specified. But I'm a bit puzzled by some
of the other information.

Is this the proper place in the dts file to specify that the FPGA connects and
external interrupt to the SoC? Can you point me to a document explaining the
interrupt-map-mask and interrupt-map arguments?

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Best Regards,