freeze when reading a PCI bridge register

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Wed Apr 22 21:03:27 EST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:04:29AM +0200, Nicolas Lavocat wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I' am trying to configure a PCI bridge on a private board, with a
> powerpc . In a first time, I tried to get informations about PCI
> devices, in order to be sure  that  my read  and write methods work (
> using 2 configuration registers, like on an x86 architecture.) . 2
> configuration registers  are used, for example we  write  an encoded
> address (it is a request to a PCI device) in the first and the answer of
> the PCI device can be read in the second register (it is a configuration
> cycle)
> Firstly, I did it by JTAG: it works. Then, under uboot, it is ok.

JTAG is probably a completely different hardware path, so it
does not really count. uboot testing is ok.

> For example, the code used under u-boot:
>
> volatile u32* addr;
> u32 vendor_device_ID;
>
> puts("PCI1 reading PCI VENDOR and DEVICE ID\n");
> addr=CFG_ADDR_PCI1;
> *addr=0x80007800;
>
> addr= CFG_DATA_PCI1;
> vendor_device_ID= *addr;
> printf("PCI1: PCI1_VENDOR_DEVICE_ID= %08x  \n" ,vendor_device_ID);

2 possibilities:
- your I/O is not marked uncacheable (should be with ioremap)
- the PPC is reordering and issuing the read before the write,
  you should use accessors. A simple test is inserting
  an asm volatile("eieio") before the read.

About your other mails, please avoid HTML mail.

	Gabriel