[RFC v2] virtio: add virtio-over-PCI driver

Ira Snyder iws at ovro.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 15 07:53:42 EST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 02:28:26PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Ira Snyder <iws at ovro.caltech.edu> wrote:
> > This adds support to Linux for using virtio between two computers linked by
> > a PCI interface. This allows the use of virtio_net to create a familiar,
> > fast interface for communication. It should be possible to use other virtio
> > devices in the future, but this has not been tested.
>
> Hey Ira,
>
> I like this a lot.  I need to do much the same thing on one of my
> platforms, so I'm going to use your patch as my starting point.  Have
> you made many changes since you posted this version of your patch?
> I'd like to collaborate on the development and help to get it
> mainlined.

This would be great. I'd really appreciate the help. I haven't had time
to make any changes since I last posted the patch. I started work on
converting all of the usage of struct vop_loc_* to just use the on-wire
structures, but I didn't get very far before other work got in the way.

> In my case I've got an MPC5200 as the 'host' and a Xilinx Virtex
> (ppc440) as the 'client'.  I intend set aside a region of the Xilinx
> Virtex's memory space for the shared queues.  I'm starting work on it
> now, and I'll provide you with feedback and/or patches as I make
> progress.

I'm looking forward to seeing your implementation. If you have any
questions, I'd be happy to attempt to answer them :)

Ira