powerpc/85xx: Add support for the "socrates" board (MPC8544)

Anton Vorontsov avorontsov at ru.mvista.com
Wed Apr 1 02:54:43 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 09:05:28AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
[...]
> >> SoC node should have a compatible property, just like everything else.
> >>
> >> compatible = "fsl,mpc8544-immr";  (immr == Internally Memory Mapped Registers)
> >>
> >> Many other boards already do this.
> >
> > Yes, it does, but searching for the SOC node is not straight-forward
> > because there is no common compatibility string but many CPU-specific
> > compatibility strings, e.g. "fsl,mpc8560-immr", etc. Have I missed
> > something?
>
> Choose a new value ("fsl,mpc-immr" perhaps?), document exactly what it
> means, and add add it to the end of the compatible list.

As Scott Wood once pointed out, IMMR does not exists for MPC85xx
parts. There it's called CCSR.

See this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linuxppc-dev@ozlabs.org/msg12665.html

I still think that
"fsl,mpc83NN-immr", "fsl,soc", "simple-bus" for 83xx
and
"fsl,mpc85NN-ccsr", "fsl,soc", "simple-bus" for 85xx

would be OK, at least to start with. We can always deprecate "fsl,soc"
compatible in favour of something more elegant, but "fsl,soc" should be
just fine to replace device_type = "soc".

Also, there is another good thing about "fsl,soc" -- U-Boot already
finds it for 83xx CPUs. ;-)

--
Anton Vorontsov
email: cbouatmailru at gmail.com