USB support on mpc5200 broken

Sven Luther sven at genesi-usa.com
Tue Sep 30 01:18:54 EST 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 01:43:29PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 08:30:56PM -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> >
> > Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >> You mean it's not reliable to expect people device-trees not to
> >> suck ? :-)
>
> Alas, this is true :(.
>
> > It's reasonable to expect that device-trees do not get updated with the
> > kernel for certain platforms (it does not fit into most quality assurance
> > schedules to reflash every user's firmware every time they want to move up
> > one revision to another, given the kernel release schedule of every 3-4
> > months) and when updating the search for compatible entries it should
> > take into account these platforms.
>
> This, of course, is exactly why I *don't* recommend embedded platforms
> move to including the device tree in the flashed firmware.  Keeping
> the device tree in the bootwrapper means that it *is* updated with the
> kernel and we don't have to mess around with as much backwards
> compatibility junk.

This completely defeats the purpopse of having a separate device tree
though, no ? I mean, we could just as well hardcode the device-tree info
in the kernel in this case ?

(In embedded cases, the kernel is usyually in the flash as well, so you
just upgrade both at the same time :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther