Device Tree

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Sep 29 18:51:52 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 08:24 +0200, Sébastien Chrétien wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question about Device Tree.
> Is Device Tree found only only on Linux Powerpc ?

Sparc also uses open firmware and shares some of the device-tree
handling code with powerpc in linux. Other operating systems on those
platforms also use it (AIX, Solaris, MacOS, ...)

I think the proposed new Xilinx microblaze architecture also uses it,
and at least on x86, the OLPC has an Open Firmware implementation though
it doesn't use the device-tree the way we do currently on powerpc and
sparc and has its own interface to the firmware.

Ben.