USB support on mpc5200 broken

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Sep 29 13:43:29 EST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 08:30:56PM -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:

> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>>> Efika is broken because of this:
>>>
>>> ohci-ppc-of.c...
>>> 	is_bigendian =
>>> 		of_device_is_compatible(dn, "ohci-bigendian") ||
>>> 		of_device_is_compatible(dn, "ohci-be");
>>>
>>> Efika doesn't have either of those in it's compatible string.
>>>
>>> This doesn't look to me like a very reliable way to determine bigendian.
>>
>> You mean it's not reliable to expect people device-trees not to
>> suck ? :-)

Alas, this is true :(.

> It's reasonable to expect that device-trees do not get updated with the
> kernel for certain platforms (it does not fit into most quality assurance
> schedules to reflash every user's firmware every time they want to move up
> one revision to another, given the kernel release schedule of every 3-4
> months) and when updating the search for compatible entries it should
> take into account these platforms.

This, of course, is exactly why I *don't* recommend embedded platforms
move to including the device tree in the flashed firmware.  Keeping
the device tree in the bootwrapper means that it *is* updated with the
kernel and we don't have to mess around with as much backwards
compatibility junk.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson