[RFC] powerpc/boot: compare _start against ei.loadsize instead ei.memsize

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri Sep 26 04:15:08 EST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:38:57PM +0200, Sebastian Siewior wrote:
> My current (working) solution is to move cuImage from 4 MiB to 8 MiB.
> Something similar has been done for pSeries in 9b09c6d "powerpc: Change
> the default link address for pSeries zImage kernels". Would it be
> appropriate to move initial address to 64 MiB as the default loading
> address or do we have here some boards which have only 64 MiB of memory?
> Does someone have another idea?

We have at least one supported board with only 8 MiB.

Some options:
1. Dynamically relocate the wrapper to the top of RAM.
2. Relink based on the uncompressed size of the image bing wrapped.
3. Try to fall back on regular malloc() rather than fail if there's no
vmlinux_alloc() and there's no room at zero.

-Scott