patchwork states and workflow

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Sep 20 09:30:57 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 15:59 -0700, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Kumar Gala writes:
>
> > I've always been a bit confused about some of the states we can put a
> > patch in.  For example, what does 'archiving' a patch mean?
>
> Archiving puts the patch away somewhere where it doesn't appear in the
> normal pages and needs extra effort to get to, as I understand it.
>
> > What's the difference between 'deferred' and 'rejected'?  Is 'Under
> > Review' useful?
>
> Deferred usually means the patch depends on something else that isn't
> upstream, such as patches that only apply against the RT tree.
> Rejected means we just don't want to do what the patch does.
>
> > My biggest question is how to manage the transition of 'Accepted' and
> > 'Awaiting Upstream' and having clear definitions of what we think
> > these mean.
>
> I put patches into "awaiting upstream" when I put them in a bundle, so
> it means that they have entered my QA process.  When they're in my
> public tree, I put them into "accepted" state.

Note, Kumar, that I have a git hook that will generate a file that
lists the sha1 and corresponding patchwork IDs when you use git-am.

I can send that to you when I'm back.

You can then use a little tool that automatically update patchwork based
on that file, filing the SHA1 reference in the database and switching
the patches to "accepted" state.

Ben.