demuxing irqs

Anton Vorontsov avorontsov at ru.mvista.com
Wed Sep 17 22:56:00 EST 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 06:08:34PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
[...]
> >> That comment was target at GPIO's that don't support interrupts. Give
> >> those GPIO numbers greater than MAX_IRQ in case someone tries to use
> >> them with the IRQ subsystem. Then they'll get errors.
> >
> > Or we can do the right thing, without messing all other gpio
> > controllers, i.e. implementing MAX_IRQ hacks. Right?
> >
> > I still don't see any problems with .to_irq callback, can you
> > point out any?
>

> You have to map between GPIO and IRQ inside the interrupt handlers so
> it has to be reasonably fast. This gets done on every shared interrupt
> so you will end up building mapping tables.

I don't get it. The mapping for your gpio controller will be 1:1.
But only for your GPIO controller. You don't have to create any tables.

That is,

static unsigned int your_controller_gpio_to_irq(stuct gpio_chip *gc,
						unsigned int gpio)
{
	return gc->base + gpio; /* guaranteed for this particular
				   irq/gpio controller bundle, because
				   gc->base == virq_base AND we
				   use 1:1 mapping. */
}

gpio_chip->to_irq = your_controller_gpio_to_irq;

Where is the table?

> Also, gpio_to_irq()
> doesn't take the gpio chip struct as a parameter.

You don't need this, since gpio_to_irq will call gpiolib's
__gpio_to_irq(), and gpiolib will call gpio_to_chip() to get the
chip struct. The approach is the same as we do for
gpio_{get,set}_value via gpiolib.

> Why does this mess with all of ther GPIO controllers? If they generate
> interrupts they obviously have to coordinate with the VIRQ system.

Btw, why do you need the gpio_to_irq call in the first place?
Why don't you just configure a gpio to serve as an interrupt source
(inside one of irq_host_ops), and just specify "interrupts = <>"
along side with "gpios = <>" in the "ir" node?

For example,

	gpio_wkup: gpio-wkup at c00 {
		compatible = "fsl,mpc5200b-gpio-wkup","fsl,mpc5200-gpio-wkup";
		reg = <0xc00 0x40>;
		interrupts = <0x1 0x8 0x0 0x0 0x3 0x0>;
		interrupt-parent = <&mpc5200_pic>;
		gpio-controller;
		#gpio-cells = <2>;
		interrupt-controller; <-- added
		#interrupt-cells = <2>; <-- added
	};

	ir {
		interrupts = <0 1>; <-- notice that irq-specific flags
		                         placed where they should.
		interrupt-parent = <&gpio_wkup>;
		gpios = <&gpio_w 0 0>; <-- notice that 1:1 mapping is explicit
	};

...and you don't need the gpio_to_irq.

(Plus. I would rather split the gpio-wkup node into two:
interrupt-controller, and gpio-controller).

> This may be an issue with the way gpio lib is designed, the API for
> the library assumes all gpios in the system are assigned unique
> identifiers.
>
> Is there any other problem with 1:1 other than it doesn't return an
> error if gpio_to_irq() is called with a gpio number that doesn't
> support irqs?

Yes. We might want non-1:1 mapping for other gpio controllers.

And we can't handle gpio_to_irq() for GPIO0 (yes, sure, we can
implement another hack: reserve GPIO0 for no use. ;-)

> You could always implement gpio_to_irq() like this:
>
> if (gpio < MAX_HW_IRQ)
>    return -ENOSYSl
> return gpio;

Don't know anything about MAX_HW_IRQ... maybe NR_IRQS? I heard
some rumors about making NR_IRQS dynamic...

> Sure your proposal works too, it's just more complicated. 1:1 mapping
> is working for ARM, why does PowerPC need to be different? I initially
> started coding it the way you propose but then I stumbled across the
> ARM solution and it was way simpler.

I don't see why adding one more gpiolib callback would complicate
things. Today you're _forcing_ every gpio controller to have 1:1
irq:gpio mapping. I think later we will encounter more problems
with it and then we will blame our lack of foresight...

--
Anton Vorontsov
email: cbouatmailru at gmail.com
irc://irc.freenode.net/bd2