Git branch conventions

Nate Case ncase at xes-inc.com
Fri Sep 12 06:22:57 EST 2008

Hi Paul,

Can you (or anyone really) describe what the usage conventions are for
the master, powerpc-next, and merge branches in your tree?

The 'master' and 'powerpc-next' branches appear to be identical right
now.  I can see that you usually submit pull requests to Linus via your
'merge' branch.  I also notice that there are changes in 'merge' that
aren't in 'master' or 'powerpc-next'.  Likewise, I see changes in
'powerpc-next'/'master' that aren't in 'merge'.  Is
'powerpc-next'/'master' purely 2.6.28 material currently while 'merge'
is for whatever the next target release is (currently 2.6.27)?

I couldn't find this explained officially anywhere, so I thought I'd
ask.  Maybe it'd shed some light for other people too.

--
Nate Case <ncase at xes-inc.com>