Efficient memcpy()/memmove() for G2/G3 cores...

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Fri Sep 5 02:32:29 EST 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 17:01:21 Gunnar Von Boehn wrote:
>[...]
> Regarding the 5121.
> David, you did create a very special memcopy for the 5121e CPU.
> Your test showed us that the normal glibc memcopy is about 10 times
> slower than expected on the 5121.
>
> I really wonder why this is the case.
> I would have expected the 5121 to perform just like the 5200B.
> What we saw is that switching from READ to WRITE and back is very
> costly on 5121.
>
> There seems to be a huge difference between the 5200 and its successor the
> 5121. Is this performance difference caused by the CPU or by the board
> /memory?

I have some new insight now, and I will look more closely at the working of
the DRAM controller... there has to be something wrong somewhere, an I am
going to find it... whether it is some strange bug in my u-boot code
(initializing the DRAM controller and prio-manager for example) or a
silicon-errata (John?)

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

--
David Jander