Efficient memcpy()/memmove() for G2/G3 cores...

Gunnar Von Boehn gunnar at genesi-usa.com
Fri Sep 5 01:14:11 EST 2008

Hi Steve,

> I have personally optimized memcpy for power4/5/6 and they are all
> different. There are dozens of different PPC implementations from
> different manufacturers and design, every one is different! With painful
> negotiation I was able to get the --with-cpu= framework added to glibc
> but not all distro use it. You can thank me later

Steve, you make it sound like very many different PowerPC chips:

You said you did the Power 4, Power 5 , Power 6 and now Power 7 routines.
And there are the 970 and the Cell.

While this sounds like 7 different PPC chips.
But aren't this actually only 2 main families?

Wouldn't it be possible to create two main routine to cover all?
One type that performs good on the family of Power4/5 and 7.
And one that performs good on the family of P6 and Cell?

How are the Linux hackers handling this?
Maybe there is room for consolidating?

Cheers
Gunnar