adding more machines to snd-aoa

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Fri Oct 24 00:44:21 EST 2008

Hi,

Andreas (Cc'ed) asked whether it was possible to use snd-aoa on his
machine, a PowerMac3,6. It appears that it is fairly easy since the
machine seems to use a regular i2sbus.

To identify it, after looking through my device-tree collections I think
that the "device-id" property of the sound node would be the best bet.
This is the value "22" for a PowerMac3,6.

However, this node is also present on at least a PowerBook5,2 (value
35). Can somebody who has such a machine please reply to this me?
Sjoerd, I think you have/had such a machine? I'd like you to test a few
patches once they're ready, and I need to know what connectors it has
(line-in, mic, headphones, ...).

However, even if that works, I'll also need to know whether there are
any other machines that have such a device-id property so that making
snd-aoa-i2sbus aware of machines with device-id doesn't break those that
I don't list. Therefore, if you have access to a machine that is
newworld and has audio, please run the following commands:

find /proc/device-tree/ -wholename '*sound/device-id'
find /proc/device-tree/ -wholename '*sound/device-id' | xargs hd

and let me know their output. No output is fine, I'm only interested in
those machines that have this property. If you have access to a DT
collection (hi Ben :) ) I'd appreciate if you could run it on that.

johannes