Extended Addressing Mode

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Thu Oct 23 09:21:09 EST 2008

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 08:08 -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
>>> We are developing a board based on Freescale 8641D which can get
>> 4GB
>>> of ram. So I need 4GB+IOs (~1GB) of physical addressing space.
>>> My plan is to put a part of this ram above of 4GB to keep accesses
>>> to the IOs below the 4GB limit. It means non-contiguous ram
>>> addressing and XAEN features to be working.
>
> Why would you put the IOs below the 4G point ? It's actually easier
> to have the IOs up above, like a lot of 4xx do.

Because we're Genesi! And we have a firmware solution that
kind of has to keep 32-bit pointers in the unlikely event that
someone actually uses the client interface (besides yaboot!).

Having I/O in the 36-bit range could cause all sorts of
explosions, and we're running real-mode so trapping and faking
I/O accesses is REALLy difficult :}

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations