Extended Addressing Mode

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Thu Oct 23 09:18:48 EST 2008

Becky Bruce wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Matt Sealey wrote:
>
>> Yeah so I saw BookE and e500 stuff go past but nothing specific for
>> e600/XAEN. I mailed Becky and got no response. I'm glad to know it's
>> in there though, somewhere.
>
> Huh?  I have one mail from you, on Sep 1, to which I responded on Sep
> 2.  Was there another mail I missed, or did you not see my response?
> Freescale's mail server is unreliable, and since I'm not in the habit of
> ignoring emails, feel free to nag me anytime if you send me something
> and don't get a response.

Between Freescale's mail server and the trouble we're having
with Google right now (along with thousands of others), I am
NOT surprised it got lost somewhere along the way.

I wasn't bitching :)

>> Just so it has been asked, do you know in a broad sense what it would
>> take to add the non-contiguous memory mapping support? Doesn't ppc64
>> already have this?
>
> PPC64 has SPARSEMEM support, IIRC. It's non-trivial to add for 32-bit,
> although I haven't scoped it out in any detail.

Okay, non-trivial was pretty much what I was looking for, I
was just trying to weigh up how much effort is required..

If you actually scope it out in any detail or someone has some
10% time and decides this would be an awesome project, give me
a nudge? My MPC8641D is itching to actually do something
besides build packages. Actually having 8GB of memory would
REALLY help run SUSE Build Service :]

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations