Problems with PCI-E devices not being detected with switch

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Oct 16 19:29:45 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:03 +0200, Stefan Roese wrote:
> Doing this unconditionally is not a good idea since we could have an old
> (buggy) firmware which didn't configure the PCIe controller correctly. But I
> really like your idea with the device-tree property to optionally skip this
> re-configuration. Now we only need to find some "volunteer" to do this
> job... ;)

I don't have a problem adding support for testing that property and
skipping most of the initial HW setup, basically treating the endpoint
as pre-configured.

What about using a value for "status" ? Or an empty "configured"
property ? Ideally, it should have been the other way around, ie
"unconfigured" for old/buggy stuff but I'm worried there may be existing
out-of-tree device-trees without it :-)

Cheers,
Ben