MPC8321, ethernet and i2c problems after upgrade from 2.6.25 to 2.6.27

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Oct 15 02:27:58 EST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 09:55:31AM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 14:03 -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
> > Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > > Because all the kernel comments I can see still implies that this should work
> >
> > Which kernel comments?
>
> The one already mentioned and in i2c-boardinfo.c

I already addressed the one already mentioned (it was sloppy terminology
in the comment, written from the perspective of devtree-less arches).
The latter is even less clear, as it doesn't mention dynamic buses at
all.

Feel free to submit a documentation patch clearing it up. :-)

> > > and because this was the only way in earlier releases to add an i2c device.
> >
> > We've supported enumerating i2c-mpc devices using the device tree for
> > almost as long as there's been new-style i2c devices.
>
> Don't know how long that has been but looking at the mpc832x_mds dts
> file it has been there less than a year.

commit d13ae8620dfdedfa7e9ab6d1eec294adc0516065 added i2c device probing
from the device tree in 7/21/07, less than 3 months after new-style i2c
devices were added to the i2c core.  There were patches floating around
the lists for longer than that.

> > Why not?  U-boot allows you to pass in a device tree dynamically.
>
> I don't use a dynamic device tree, mine is built in.

So do a fixup in your board code.

I'm not sure how you would even go about building a device tree into
U-boot currently, though.

-Scott