performance: memcpy vs. __copy_tofrom_user

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 23:04:53 EST 2008

Hello all,

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Dominik Bozek <domino at mikroswiat.pl> wrote:
> Paul Mackerras wrote:
>> Dominik Bozek writes:
>>> Actually I made couple of other tests on that mpc8313. Most of them are
>>> to ugly to publish them, but... My problem is that I have to boost the
>>> gigabit interface on the mpc8313. I made simple substitution and
>>
>> Very interesting.  Can you work out where memcpy is being called on
>> the network data?  I wouldn't have expected that.

Also see this recent thread David Jander on August 25th, "Efficient
memcpy()/memmove() for G2/G3 cores..."
on linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org.

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-September/062449.html

BTW, I am interested in this work as well, I'm currently working with
a 8313 and 8315 design, both are e300 cores.

My current goal is PCIe though, but I need fast GbE performance as well.

Also, did you test Freescale's 2.6.24.3 patches that tune the gianfar
interfaces for higher performance?

Regards,
--
Leon