Disabling L1 D-cache and side effects

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Oct 1 08:56:16 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 15:26 -0700, Tirumala Reddy Marri wrote:
> Ben,
>     I got to bring up Linux on one of the 440 processors with out L1
> dcache to do some bench marking  and compare with  L1 d-cache enabled.
>
> I am avoiding any references to dcbz ,dcbt and dcbst .   Also the TLB's
> are created with cache inhibited. I looked at lwarx/stwcx description,
> there seem to be no dependency on L1 cache.

Ok. Well, they are generally implemented at the L2 level but maybe not
on 440, architecturally, they must be used on cacheable memory but it's
possible that 440 being not SMP coherent, the actual implementation of
those is too dumb to care.

> I don't see any critical exceptions or traps. All I  see is /init/bin
> failing to execute because data is corrupted.

Have you properly replaced dcbz with multiple stores ? I did some bring
up work internally on some stuff where dcbz wasn't quite there yet and
one pitfall to be careful is that if you force-enable the alternate
CONFIG_8xx implementation in the various copy & memset routines in
arch/powerpc/lib, you also need to fix those implementations to copy
or clear 32 bytes instead of just 16, as 8xx has 16 byte cache lines.

Typically failing to do so causes things like memset to fail to properly
clear things such as page tables and thus random crap occurs.

Cheers,
Ben.