[RFC] powerpc/boot: add kernel,end node to the cuboot target

Sebastian Siewior bigeasy at linutronix.de
Wed Oct 1 03:21:41 EST 2008

Milton Miller wrote:

>> |load: entry = 0x80053c flags = 0
>> |nr_segments = 2
>> |segment[0].buf   = 0x1002b8f0
>> |segment[0].bufsz = 80
>> |segment[0].mem   = (nil)
>> |segment[0].memsz = 1000
>> |segment[1].buf   = 0x4803f008
>> |segment[1].bufsz = 3a3138
>> |segment[1].mem   = 0x800000
>> |segment[1].memsz = 3b0000
>
> I would expect a third segment (kernel/zImage, dtb, and purgatory), but
> its not clear that you are getting that far yet.

segment 0 looks like a small segment which should create "boot loader
environment". That one does nothing.
Segment 1 is my cuImage. What is purgatory?

>> Now. The entry address in image->start is valid and is the entrypoint of
>> the "custom" cuImage. Custom means that it does not depend any register
>> values passed from u-boot (the original one needs a pointer to bd_t).
>> The only requirement is a valid 1:1 memory mapping.
>
> ok sounds good.  does this have the dtb in it too?
Yes it does.

>> The branch above is taken, so I've found my current mapping
>
> ok, but should you not be using PID0 explictly to say global only?
The kernel mapping should only be global and therefore that might be a
good idea.

> obviously, a jtag or similar hardware debugger would be best.  Second
I have here CodeWarrior usb tap but after more than one hour playing with
that thing I started to hack assembly char put. It helper more :) kexec
seems to work now :) I get "nobody cared irq X" from time to time so I
thing I have to fix here something.....

> As a final note, it looks like you are currently replacing the code in
> relocate_new_kernel with book-e code.  Obviously this will need
> refinement to select or move to heat_xx to merge.
Yep, this is next what is going to happen. I would prefer to have them
runtime switchable instead of build depend.

> Again, I don't have any direct experience, but mauybe this gives you
> some ideas.
Your hints helped. Thx for that.

> milton
Sebastian