powerpc: udbg based backend for hvc_console

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue Nov 18 15:42:46 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 6:40 PM, David Gibson
<david at gibson.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

> Because the udbg console works for kernel messages, but doesn't
> support a full tty interface, so you can't run userspace with only a
> udbg console.

I still don't understand the point of your driver.  You're just
routing hcalls to a udbg back-end.  So if you have a driver that
supports udbg but not standard console or TTY, then you can use your
driver to get console/tty I/O.  Is there a platform where such a setup
exists?  All HVC drivers support console and TTY, as do all serial
drivers.  So what platform would use your driver?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale