Large stack usage in fs code (especially for PPC64)

Andrew Morton akpm at linux-foundation.org
Tue Nov 18 08:31:37 EST 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:23:23 -0800 (PST)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > Far be it from me to apportion blame, but THIS IS ALL LINUS'S FAULT!!!!! :)
> >
> > I fixed this six years ago.  See http://lkml.org/lkml/2002/6/17/68
>
> Btw, in that thread I also said:
>
>   "If we have 64kB pages, such architectures will have to have a bigger
>    kernel stack. Which they will have, simply by virtue of having the very
>    same bigger page. So that problem kind of solves itself."
>
> and that may still be the "right" solution - if somebody is so insane that
> they want 64kB pages, then they might as well have a 64kB kernel stack as
> well.

I'd have thought so, but I'm sure we're about to hear how important an
optimisation the smaller stacks are ;)

> Trust me, the kernel stack isn't where you blow your memory with a 64kB
> page. You blow all your memory on the memory fragmentation of your page
> cache. I did the stats for the kernel source tree a long time ago, and I
> think you wasted something like 4GB of RAM with a 64kB page size.

Yup.  That being said, the younger me did assert that "this is a neater
implementation anyway".  If we can implement those loops without
needing those on-stack temporary arrays then things probably are better
overall.