pmac_zilog debugging ...

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Fri Nov 14 09:29:06 EST 2008

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 03:38 -0800, Kevin Diggs wrote:
>

>>12,206 PowerMac Zilog interrupts
>>
>>Interrupt load is higher without the DMA support.
>>
>>Is it possible that this hardware was not meant to be used without the
>>DMA (i.e. it does not work quite right?)?
>

> Well, the HW Rx buffer is only 3 bytes so if you have high interrupt
> latencies you are more likely to loose data...

These are not real 8530s any more, right? How certain are we of this?
Is it possible that there is a larger buffer when used with the DMA
capability ... somehow?

> Now, as I said, have you looked at flow control ? It's a likely cause of
> problems and it's possible that pmac_zilog doesn't do it the way
> macserial did...

I tried to put some debug statements where the flow lines are managed. I
could have goofed it up. They never produce any output. The latest
attempt used nortscts which should have disabled flow control. That
coupled with the fact that a 250 MHz 750GX is talking to a 486dx4 at
1200 - 9600 baud I would have thought would reduce the chance the PowerMac
would fall behind?

> Regarding DMA, it's possible to implement, though there were interesting
> issues with the way it was done in macserial, it should be done
> differently in pmac_zilog.
>
> I think the only approach that really works properly (though it's fugly)
> is what Apple does in OSX I think, which is to have a DMA descriptor per
> input byte (no need for a huge DMA buffer anyway).

You would need to explain to me the advantage of doing DMA in this case???