How to add my device node in the device tree

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Nov 11 10:18:16 EST 2008

wael showair wrote:
> i want to add a node for the DMA in this tree. the PIC PDF tells me that DMA
> channel 0 is connected to Internal interrupt number 4 so i add the following
> node just before the pic node & after the serial node:

> 		DMA at 21100 {
> 			reg = <21100 44>;
> 			interrupts = <4 2>;
> 			interrupt-parent = <40000>;
> 		};

Copy the dma (eloplus) node in one of the existing device trees, rather
than make up a new binding.  BTW, internal interrupts on the MPIC have
to have 16 added to the interrupt number.

> but when i called the of_find_node_by_name(NULL, "DMA");
> unfortunately it returns NULL & i cant the a node with such a name.
> i have checked this by printing all of the nodes in my tree which are:
> cpus
> PowerPC,8555
> memory
> soc8555
> i2c
> mdio
> serial
> pic
> choosen
> choosen
>
> without a node of name DMA for sure.
> so what else should i do to create this node?
> thanks in advance for your help.

Not sure, are you sure you properly rebuilt the device tree, and are
using the new blob rather than the old one?

-Scott