PCI Express between MPC8572 & PLX8616

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Wed Nov 5 06:59:39 EST 2008

Has anybody every used this chip in their design??

FYI, we have a custom board that I am bringing up right now that has a

MPC8572E that has its PCIE1 connected to the subject line PLX8616

PCI Express Switch...

As part of the boot, we successfully discover config the internal bridge

(its in root complex mode) inside the MPC8572E, and from 'many'

view points (hardware LED's and status registers) - there seems to

be 4 lanes in between the Switch and the CPU...

But, at the first external config cycle - something goes very wrong -

the response (or lack of that ==> 0xffff) is returned, as well as

and the associated CCSR's PCIE1 interface is completely

reset (we implement and attempt to recover this interface

via Freescale's CPU Errata #4) - but beyond that - it

never recovers and re-sync's these 4 lanes up....

Has anybody had anything similar to this happen to them

in this type of situation...

We are grasping at straws, and yet to get any further than this...

Thanks in advance...

Tom Morrison
Principal Software Engineer

EMPIRIX