[RFC/DRAFT] SPI OF bindings, MMC-over-SPI, chip-selects and so on

Anton Vorontsov avorontsov at ru.mvista.com
Thu May 22 02:01:27 EST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 05:54:20PM +0200, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
>
> > This is just a bait for further discussion of OF/SPI, chip-selects,
> > e.t.c.
> >
> > I've converted the spi_mpc83xx to the OF driver (using Grant's
> > SPI_MASTER_OF work + some additions), and implemented MMC-over-SPI
> > bindings. This stuff extensively using GPIOs, and I think this will
> > work for the "bridged SPI" too, since the SPI bridge could be
> > represented as GPIO controller (inside the SPI controller node).
>
> Yes, but do you really _want_ to represent them as GPIOs? Firstly they are
> not really "G" P, secondly, they are not even "I", rather only "O".

"General Purpose Input/Output" implies that lines could be only I or
only O, or both. (plus "dedicated function", though, here David Brownell
will probably disagree ;-) GPIOs are really general.

> And do
> you really want to register your SPI CS lines to the whole system for
> everyone's (ab)use?...

This is represented via device tree, so the only abusers could be
hardware designers. :-)

--
Anton Vorontsov
email: cbouatmailru at gmail.com