MPC5200b MMC over SPI into PSC6

Fabio Tosetto tosettofabio83 at libero.it
Fri May 9 01:10:26 EST 2008

Ok, maybe it's better to start from the beginning.
Now I'm using a Lite5200b board, just to avoid problems with my
hardware, and I'm trying to have a bootable kernel.

With kernel version 2.6.24.6 I do the following commands

$ make ARCH=powerpc lite5200_defconfig
$ make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-gnu- uImage

then I copy the arch/powerpc/boot/uImage and a rootfs.uimage on the
board, but uBoot stops at the beginning:

U-Boot 1.3.0-g98e2867c-dirty (Feb  7 2008 -
13:26:28)

CPU:   MPC5200B v2.2, Core v1.4 at 198
MHz
       Bus 132 MHz, IPB 132 MHz, PCI 33
MHz
Board: Freescale
Lite5200B
I2C:   85 kHz,
ready
DRAM:  256
MB
FLASH: 32
MB
PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class
Int
        00  1a  1057  5809  0680
00
In:
serial
Out:
serial
Err:
serial
Net:   FEC
ETHERNET
IDE:   Bus 0:
OK
  Device 0: not
available
  Device 1: not
available

Type "run flash_nfs" to mount root filesystem over
NFS

Hit any key to stop autoboot:
0
=>

=> usb
start
(Re)start
USB...
USB:   scanning bus for devices... 2 USB Device(s)
found
       scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s)
found
=> usb
scan
  NOTE: this command is obsolete and will be phased
out
  please use 'usb storage' for USB storage devices
information

  Device 0: Vendor: USB 2.0  Prod.: Flash Disk       Rev:
0.00
            Type: Removable Hard
Disk
            Capacity: 963.9 MB = 0.9 GB (1974271 x
512)
=> fatload usb 0 0x03000000
uImage
reading
uImage

1091680 bytes
read
=> fatload usb 0 0x04000000
rootfs.uimage
reading
rootfs.uimage
924722 bytes read
=> bootm 0x03000000 0x04000000

---------------------
## Booting image at 03000000
   Image Name:
Linux-2.6.24.4
   Created:      2008-05-08  14:21:24
UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size:    1091616 Bytes =  1
MB
   Load Address:
00000000
   Entry Point:
00000000
   Verifying Checksum ...
OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ...
OK
   Image Name:   RamDisk Image
RadioNav
   Created:      2007-12-14  16:18:56
UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size:    924658 Bytes = 903
kB
   Load Address:
00000000
   Entry Point:
00000000
   Verifying Checksum ...
OK

So I tried using the deprecated ppc

$ make ARCH=ppc lite5200_defconfig
$ make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-gnu- uImage

It still doesn't work, but it goes a little further:

=> bootm 0x03000000
0x04000000
## Booting image at 03000000
   Image Name:
Linux-2.6.24.6
   Created:      2008-05-08  14:39:04
UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size:    776322 Bytes = 758.1
[...]
id mach():
done
MMU:enter

MMU:hw
init
MMU:mapin

MMU:setio

MMU:exit

setup_arch:
enter
setup_arch:
bootmem
arch: exit

The only way I was able to get something working, even though it sounds
a little strange to me, is loading the config from powerpc folder but
compiling in ppc

$ make ARCH=powerpc lite5200_defconfig
$ make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-gnu- uImage

=> bootm 0x03000000
0x04000000
## Booting image at 03000000
   Image Name:
Linux-2.6.24.4
   Created:      2008-05-08  14:03:26
UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size:    1073349 Bytes =  1
[...]

[    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.24.4 (ftosetto at osstlab-build1) (gcc
version 4.1
.2 (Sourcery G++ Lite 4.1-51)) #3 Thu May 8 16:03:21 CEST
2008
[    0.000000] Zone PFN
ranges:
[    0.000000]   DMA             0 ->
65536
[    0.000000]   Normal      65536 ->
65536
[    0.000000] Movable zone start PFN for each
node
[    0.000000] early_node_map[1] active PFN
ranges
[    0.000000]     0:        0 ->
65536
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.
Total pag
es:
65024
[    0.000000] Kernel command
line:
[    0.000000] PID hash table entries: 1024 (order: 10, 4096
bytes)
[   91.768263] console [ttyPSC0] enabled

Do you have any idea about how to make it working doing all the stuff
with ARCH=powerpc?

Best regards,
Fabio