ifconfig MPC8313

Ronald Madrid ron_madrid at hotmail.com
Wed May 7 07:10:36 EST 2008

Hello all,

I am working on porting linux 2.6.25 with a custom MPC8313 based board, but am having a little bit of trouble with the ethernet, more specifically ifconfig.

after typing "ifconfig eth0 10.196.31.84" I receive the following error
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

after entering a MAC address via "ifconfig eth0 hw ether"  I receive this error.
e0024520:01 not found
eth0: Could not attach to PHY
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

which I have traced to bus_find_device, but I'm not sure what to make of this.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here, and I'm sure that it's something that I'm forgetting to do/include.

Sorry if this isn't enough information, but I don't know enough to know what other information would be needed.

Ron