on the topic of of_device resources...

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Mon May 5 17:59:58 EST 2008

Since it came to my attention due to the build error fix
I just had to fix, I figured I'd mention some things.

Right now, powerpc and sparc differ in how they resolve
interrupts and resources.

Powerpc uses an on-demand model, whereas Sparc pre-resolves
everything at bootup when parsing the OF tree.

Unfortunately they operate on differing objects too, otherwise I could
provide routines to match the interfaces that powerpc OF drivers want
:-/

Powerpc drivers want device_node objects, whereas sparc roots all
driver usable objects under of_platform_bus using of_device objects
(which point to the device_node if the driver needs that).

Inside of the of_device is where we hang the fully resolved resources
and interrupts.

I'd like to see consolidation in this area, and in return I'll be
compiling all of your PPC_OF devices in my allmodconfig builds on
sparc :-)