OF compatible MTD platform RAM driver ?

Sergei Shtylyov sshtylyov at ru.mvista.com
Wed Mar 26 04:02:08 EST 2008

Laurent Pinchart wrote:

>>>Ok.

>>    Well, I might have gone too far here -- it should be a real device
>>(spec'ed in Device Support Extensions recommended practice). It's just that
>>the spec didn't mention "reg" property, only "#bytes" (the device capacity).
>>So, it may be worth considering...

> The nvram device descrived in the Device Support Extensions is probably meant
> to describe the kind of nvram found in RTC chips.

    Well, that is only an assumption -- actually, the sentense in the
description of the "#bytes" prop about the typical size being from 4 to 32K
speaks against it. The details of NVRAM implementation are hidden behind
read/write/seek methods.

> That memory isn't directly accessible.

    That's what we have a "compatible" prop for. ;-)

> As the spec doesn't mention this explicitely we could still reuse
> the nvram device type for direct-mapped battery-backed ram. I have no strong
> opinion for or against that.

>>>What about

>>>	mtdram at 2,0000 {
>>>		compatible = "mtd-ram";
>>>		reg = <2 0x0000 0x00100000>;
>>>		bank-width = <2>;
>>>	};

>>>ROMs could use "mtd-rom" for their compatible property.

>>    Heh, there was a whole company against mentioning "mtd" when we started
>>working on this (of course, the first idea was to call the flash device type
>>"mtd"). I don't think "mtd" looks good here -- I'd suggest "flash-ram" (if
>>this is just a linearly mapped NVRAM).

> I'm fine with "flash-ram" (even thought it looks a bit weird). I'll prepare a
> patch.

    Yeah. I forgeot that "flash" means EEPROM. Actually, the main facts about
the NVRAM that I'd want to be stated in the "compatible" property is that it's
non-volatile and directly/lineraly mapped... Just "nvram" doesn't seem
enopugh, maybe "linear-nvram" is. And we can specify "device_type" of "nvram"
indeed (and #size).

> Best regards,

WBR, Sergei