OF compatible MTD platform RAM driver ?

Sergei Shtylyov sshtylyov at ru.mvista.com
Wed Mar 26 02:29:31 EST 2008

Hello.

Laurent Pinchart wrote:

>>>What "compatible" values should I use for ROM and RAM mappings ?

>>That I'm not so sure of.  We'll need to find some consensus.

>>There may be existing IEEE1275 bindings for roms, which we should
>>investigate.

> Do you (or someone else here) have access to the IEEE1275 specification ? Is

    Yeah, and I can point you to it -- see the documantation section on
http://www.openbios.org/...

> there any ROM binding in there ?

    No. We initially called the flash devices that physmap_of driver
controlled "rom" (I mean the "device_type" property) -- now this is obsoleted.

>>Arguably RAM should be represented by a memory node, but
>>that's going to get messy for this sort of application.

    Note that the OF "memory" type nodes do *not* represent RAM devices.

> We're talking about a very specific type of RAM, used for permanent storage
> with a battery backup. The RAM is really meant to be used as an MTD device
> and as such I think it makes sense to describe it as an mtd-compatible device
> on the local bus.

> What about the following definition for the RAM node ?

>         nvram at 2,0000 {

    Note that there's a OF "device_type" of "nvram", so your (generic) device
name seems to add some mess. (IIRC, that OF device type didn't actually
represent a "real" device, and only served to provide access to NVRAM for OF).

>                 compatible = "mtd,ram";

    The part before comma should be a company name or a stock ticker. What did
you mean here?

>                 reg = <2 0x0000 0x00100000>;
>                 bank-width = <2>;
>         };

> Or should the node have a device-type property of either 'ram' or 'rom' with
> the compatible property just referencing MTD ?

    The "device_type" properties are not required and their further creation
has been discouraged on liunxppc-dev.

> Best regards,

WBR, Sergei