Trouble with SCC UART ports when moving from ppc to powerpc

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Fri Mar 21 02:18:26 EST 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008 16:08, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 02:39:56PM +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > I'm working on a patch. I'm not sure how to handle the early udbg printk
> > problem, so the first version will just ignore it.
>
> udbg printk is extremely useful... I'd not be fond of it breaking.

I don't want to kill it either. What I meant is that my first patch will not
care about udbg so that I can get feedback about the CPM serial driver part.
I'll then see how to make udbg fit into that.

> Perhaps we should stick more initialization into the cpm udbg code, so it
> isn't so dependent on the bootloader setup... though we'd have push the
> CPM reset and SMC allocation earlier in such a case.

When SMC1 is used as a serial console, SMC1 is the first CPM dpram allocation
user. This means the CPM dpram allocator will allocate a buffer at the
beginning of the dpram. As he SMC controller will already be using the 64
first bytes of the dpram, it will not see any difference when being
reinitialized.

This of course depends on the boot loader allocating parameter ram at the
beginning of the dpram for SMC1, but we already depend on that if I'm not
mistaken.

--
Laurent Pinchart
CSE Semaphore Belgium