7448/2.6.20 problems (double boots or hangs)

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Thu Mar 20 09:31:45 EST 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:52:16 -0400
> Von: "Leisner, Martin" <Martin.Leisner at xerox.com>
> An: linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org
> CC: "Lund, Nathan \\(Nathan.Lund at usa.xerox.com\\)" <Nathan.Lund at xerox.com>
> Betreff: 7448/2.6.20 problems (double boots or hangs)

> My taiga board is now dead -- on our development board (with a taiga
> kernel
> and a custom modified dts) we see either
>

> 1) it hangs at the same point ("PID has table entries")
>    or
> 2) it boots but it seems to restart the boot process after the "PID hash
> table entries line"
I observed the same behavior on my AmigaOne, if the PAGE_COHERENT flag was
set for page mappings by CPU_FTR_NEED_COHERENT. The 7448 CPU doesn't need
CPU_FTR_NEED_COHERENT to be set (no CPU bug that needs to be worked
around), but there is no define for the 7448 in arch/powerpc/cputable.h in
kernel v2.6.20 (but it's in v2.6.22!). Thus I guess it is detected as a
744[0|5|7], which have this flag set.
On the other side my hardware is _very_ buggy, so it's unlikely that this
could be the problem on your hardware.

Gerhard