Please pull linux-2.6-mpc52xx.git

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 18 09:28:36 EST 2008

In message <fa686aa40803171443q7a53f0balbb49740116c6552 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> b) defconfigs is more about testing and a known working configuration
> than it is about a distribution configuration.  It's not intended to
> be the deployed config.  For a distribution/deployable image it is
> expected that the engineer responsible will tailor the config.

This may be true in general, but for the boards in question it is
definitely incorrect:

* The TQM5200 configuration as provided is intended for  shipping  as
  default  configuration  for  this board. The "engineer responsible"
  already *did* the tailoring and put that  state  in  the  defconfig
  file.

* The CM5200 and Motion-Pro boards are custom designs, where the
  defconfig file matches exactly the requirements of the respective
  customers.

I feel it is very important to be able to include this  configuration
information  somewhere  with  the  kernel source tree - and to me the
defconfig file for a board is the most  natural  place  to  put  such
information.

Please understand that we do  NOT  expect  the  end  user  having  to
"tailor  the  config"  -  instead,  we  want  to  provide  a  default
configuration that can be used as is,  at  least  for  default  usage
cases.

If you don't want to use a board specific default configuration, then
please tell me what the recommended way is to provide a knwon  to  be
working,  tested  *and*  *useful*  default  configuration  for custom
boards in the Linux kernel tree?

> All these boards are supported with
> arch/powerpc/platforms/mpc5200_simple.c.  A kernel built for that
> platform will boot on any of those boards as long as it is passed the
> correct device tree.

I don't doubt that the kernel will boot. But that does not mean  that
it   is  ready  for  use  for  the  intended  purpose.  For  example,
arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx/motionpro.c contains code to  setup  some
custom   LEDs   on   this   board.   I   can't   find  that  code  in
arch/powerpc/platforms/mpc5200_simple.c.

It may be argued that this code should be moved somewhere else, but I
don't remeber to have seen any such review comments.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You don't have to stay up nights to succeed; you have to  stay  awake
days.