simple MPC5200B system

André Schwarz Andre.Schwarz at matrix-vision.de
Mon Mar 17 06:15:28 EST 2008

All,

I'm quite stuck in getting our MPC5200B based systems work on 2.6.24+
... maybe someone could give me some hints.
Up to now the systems have been running on 2.6.19 without any problems.

This is what I've done so far :

- get a recent system with 2.6.19 running and keep the toolchain (gcc
4.0) including RFS uImage.
- latest bootloader (u-boot 1.3.2) is running fine with dtb support.
- Kernel and RFS images are available via bootp/tftp
- device tree blob seems ok, i.e. u-boot can display the blob and fill
in all clocks correctly.
- Kernel gets called with Kernel, RFS and dtb on suitable adresses
(0x100000, 0x600000, 0x5F0000).
- nothing more happens. It looks like the console isn't working properly
- maybe worse ...

We're using the latest git version from Wolfgang Denk.

The kernel has been build using the "MPC5200 simple" setup. I've added
our board identifier "mv,mvbluecougar" to the list of supported boards
in the "mpc52xx_simple.c" file. This identifier is used in the dtb as
well of course. This should be enough along with a valid device tree
blob, isn't it ? Did I miss anything already ?

As far as I did understand by reading the docs it should be possible
running a general MPC52xx kernel with a custom dtb ? Is this correct ?

The dts file has already been reduced to a minimum, i.e. only the cpu,
pic, xlb and a few nodes like psc1 and psc2 are present. No bestcomm,
pci, ata or "advanced" features like mtd partitions. All I want to get
working is the serial console on "/dev/ttyPSC0".

Are there any hidden stumbling blocks ?

Sorry for the "simple" questions but obviously there are many questions
coming up during move from "ppc" to "powerpc".

Any help is appreciated.

regards,
André Schwarz
Matrix Vision GmbH

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler  - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271090
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner