Help needed to describe a custom bus in the device tree

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Mar 12 09:54:27 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 03:27:26PM +0100, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> [...]
> 			compatible = "tbox,sdhci";
> 			reg = <5000 1000>;
> 			interrupts = <16 8>;
> 			interrupt-parent = <&cpm_pic>;
> 		};
> 	};
>
> 	msbus at 5,0 {
> 		compatible = "tbox,cp11-msbus";
> 		#address-cells = <1>;
> 		#size-cells = <1>;
> 		#interrupt-cells = <1>;
> 		reg = <5 0 0 00000400>;
> 		interrupt-parent = <&msbus_pic>;
> 	};
> };
>
> The device tree reflects the physical topology but makes driver
> access to the bus quite complex. An OF platform device driver
> matching on compatible = "tbox,cp11-msbus" will not have the bus
> FPGA registers described in its device node.
>
> Having a look at the various device trees included in the kernel
> sources, it seems platforms with a PCI bus experience a similar
> problem. To solve it the PCI bus node address and registers describe
> the configuration registers, and the memory window to access PCI
> devices is described by the ranges property.  Applying that to my
> custom bus would lead to the following tree.
>
> localbus at f0010100 {
> 	compatible = "fsl,pq2-localbus";
> 	#address-cells = <2>;
> 	#size-cells = <1>;
> 	reg = <f0010100 40>;
>
> 	ranges = <0 0 40000000 01000000
> 		  2 0 f2000000 00100000
> 		  3 0 f3000000 00100000
> 		  4 0 f4000000 00100000
> 		  4 1 f4002000 00000100
> 		  5 0 f5000000 00100000>;
>
> 	fpga at 4,0 {
> 		#address-cells = <1>;
> 		#size-cells = <1>;
> 		ranges = <4 0 0 00010000>;
>
> 		msbus_pic: interrupt-controller at 2100 {
> 			compatible = "tbox,cp11-msbus-pic";
> 			reg = <2100 8>;
> 			interrupts = <17 2>;
> 			interrupt-parent = <&cpm_pic>;
> 			#interrupt-cells = <1>;
> 			interrupt-controller;
> 		};
>
> 		msbus-spi at 2200 {
> 			compatible = "tbox,cp11-msbus-spi";
> 			reg = <2200 100>;
> 			interrupts = <18 8>;
> 			interrupt-parent = <&cpm_pic>;
> 		};
>
> 		sdhc at 5000 {
> 			compatible = "tbox,sdhci";
> 			reg = <5000 1000>;
> 			interrupts = <16 8>;
> 			interrupt-parent = <&cpm_pic>;
> 		};
> 	};
>
> 	msbus at 4,1 {
> 		compatible = "tbox,cp11-msbus";
> 		#address-cells = <1>;
> 		#size-cells = <1>;
> 		#interrupt-cells = <1>;
> 		reg = <4 1 4>;
> 		interrupt-parent = <&msbus_pic>;
> 		ranges = <5 0 0 00000400>;
> 	};
> };
>
> Is this correct ? Is that the best way to describe my custom bus in

Your second example looks closer to right.  Certainly you should use
'reg' only for bus control registers, and 'ranges' for windows into
the bus address space itself.

The device tree describes hardware from a functional point of view, so
I don't know that it's relevant that all the bus control functions are
implemented in an FPGA.  Each of the subnodes are more-or-less
independent devices, so they could just have separate nodes.

Or, if this seems more sensible, you could decide that they're
sufficiently closely related to put them all as one node, with
multiple register blocks listed in the 'reg' property.  That would
probably get messy for your PIC at the very least though.

> How would the relationships between the bus and
> its PIC and SPI controller be handled in the drivers ?

If the msbus driver needs to work with the associated PIC and SPI
controllers, then you should put properties in the msbus node giving
their phandles.

> I also don't
> understand how interrupt mappings are supposed to be handled. PCI
> busses have two CPM interrupt lines, one for the PCI PIC and one for
> the PCI bus, with the PCI bus having the CPM PIC as its interrupt
> controller. My bus PIC uses a single interrupt line. Is there some
> documentation explaining how PICs and interrupt mappings should be
> described ?

Are interrupts from devices on the msbus routed over the msbus, or are
they routed independently to the mspic or the cpm PIC?

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson