of_serial vs legacy serial support with powerpc arch on 405

John Linn John.Linn at xilinx.com
Wed Mar 12 02:04:27 EST 2008

I've searched and found some threads, but it's still not clear to me.
I'm working on 405 with powerpc and trying to get UART550 working.

I know that I need speed, freq, and reg-shift properties in the device
tree and I have found patches for of_serial.c.

I still don't understand when to use of_serial.c (SERIAL_OF_PLATFORM) vs
the legacy support for serial ports.  Is there any docs that I'm not
finding that I should read?

I don't see a way to configure in the legacy support, but I'm using
SERIAL_OF and having problems. I don't see the console getting enabled
even though it found the serial port driver.

Thanks,

John