OF compatible MTD platform RAM driver ?

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Tue Mar 11 02:06:31 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

as part of a ARCH=ppc to ARCH=powerpc migration process, I'm looking for an
OpenFirmware compatible way to handle a RAM-based MTD device.

On the platform_device based ppc architecture, the drivers/mtd/maps/plat-ram.c
driver handled "mtd-ram" platform devices. There is no such driver for the
OF-based powerpc architecture.

As a temporary workaround I hacked the physmap_of driver to
handle "direct-mapped" OF devices oh type "ram" by adding a corresponding
entry in the of_flash_match[] array. This seems to work fine.

What would be the preferred way to handle OF-compatible RAM-based MTD
devices ? The 3 ways I can think of are

1. porting the plat-ram driver to OF (the driver isn't used in the kernel tree
but I suspect it is used by out-of-tree boards)

2. creating a new plat-ram-of driver, much like the physmap_of driver comes
from the physmap driver

3. extending the physmap_of driver to handle RAM devices (in which case
references to "flash" in the function names should probably be replaced
by "mtd")

I live option 3 better so far.

Has anyone already worked on this ? Is there any defined device tree mapping
for MTD RAM devices ?

Best regards,

--
Laurent Pinchart