[patch 5/6] PARISC: move PERR & SERR enables out of pcibios_enable_resources()

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Mar 4 05:30:58 EST 2008

On Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:31 am Grant Grundler wrote:
> In general, I'm wondering if the check for device class would be
> sufficient here to NOT enable PERR/SERR for graphics automatically.
> While disabling PERR was "the right thing" for older "mostly write"
> devices of the 1990's and early 2000, it might not be correct for
> current 3-D graphics devices which use host mem to buffer processed
> results. I'm thinking of Intel graphics controllers in particular
> but I don't know any details of how they actually work.

Well, in general chipset devices aren't required to support parity checking,
AIUI; Intel gfx devices don't bother (PERR enable is hardwired to 0).

> I'm also a bit concerned about this now becuase (IIRC) AGP didn't
> implement parity though it looked like PCI protocol. PCI-e certainly
> does but it's possible BIOS/Firmware disable parity generation
> on the host bridge when connected to a gfx device.
> We wouldn't want to enable parity checking on a PCI-e gfx device in this
> case and I hope someone (perhaps at Intel) could double check this.

I'd have to ping our BIOS folks to see if that's the case, but I doubt it.  It
would be a bad idea to disable any PCIe error reporting (including legacy
error mapping) just because a gfx device was attached.  Apparently the AMD
PCIe parts include PERR generation, so disabling upstream reporting at boot
time seems like it would be an outright bug; it should be left up to driver &
OS software.

Jesse