link failure: file truncated

Chuck Meade chuckmeade at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 25 09:17:30 EST 2008

Jon Tollefson wrote:
> Just tried to build the latest version from Linus' tree and I am getting
> a link error.
>
> building with the pseries_defconfig

>  LD      drivers/built-in.o
>  LD      vmlinux.o
>  MODPOST vmlinux.o
> WARNING: modpost: Found 6 section mismatch(es).
> To see full details build your kernel with:
> 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
>  GEN     .version
>  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
>  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
>  CC      init/version.o
>  LD      init/built-in.o
>  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
> ld: final link failed: File truncated
> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
>

> ~/src/linus/linux-2.6>cat /etc/SuSE-release SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server
> 9 (ppc)
> VERSION = 9
> PATCHLEVEL = 3
> ~/src/linus/linux-2.6>ld --version
> GNU ld version 2.15.90.0.1.1 20040303 (SuSE Linux)
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
> ~/src/linus/linux-2.6>gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)
>
> ~/src/linus/linux-2.6>cat /etc/SuSE-release SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server
> 9 (ppc)
> VERSION = 9
> PATCHLEVEL = 3
>

> Jon

As you may have seen from Segher's email from about 40 minutes ago, I can
confirm that I am getting the same error at the same point in the build.
I am going to reply to his message in a few minutes with more details he
requested.  Like you, I also have a 2.15-era ld version.

I can tell you that if you revert the patch that Segher sent on July 22
for file arch/powerpc/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S, the link should succeed (mine
does).

Regards,
Chuck