[RFC] [0/5] tuning options for PPC64

Marvin marvin24 at gmx.de
Thu Jul 24 06:16:31 EST 2008

Hi,

and thanks for the feedback. To make it short, the conclusions I draw from
that are:

	- let the cpu type be choosen optionaly
	- both target cpu and tuning cpu should be selectable
	- if one cpu gets choosen, it should select some feature flag, mcpu and mtune
option automatically in Kconfig.cputypes
	- if none gets choosen, all features will be selected (is this save?)

I found these ppc64 cpu specific candidates for CONFIG_FEATURE-X:

Altivec (G4, G5, POWER6+7, PA6T)
BAT64 aka POWER3 (Power3)
FPU (all)
Std_MMU (all)
Virt_CPU_Accounting (all, except PA6T?)
VSX (power7)

There are probably some more features present, which are currently enabled by
some ifdefs for PPC64 and POWER4 (e.g. powermac/feature.c). I will not touch
them due to my little knowledge and just keep these symbols.

I guess this will become another long weekend ;-)

Marvin