Calling the kernel from a mini-bootloader

Guillaume Dargaud dargaud at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Wed Jul 23 02:01:28 EST 2008

Answering to myself to try and provide more background info:

> As a follow up to my previous messages, I now have a working kernel and a
> working bootloader... but not when they are both together.
>
> Case in point:
> - load zImage.elf to DRAM 0x400000 with JTAG debugger. Run it. It runs
> fine.
>
> - Load Bootloader.elf to BRAM 0xFFFF0000 with JTAG debugger. Run it. It
> runs fine (but it doesn't do much yet).
>
> - Now load both of the previous ones, and have the bootloader perform a
> jump to kernel:
void main() {
     typedef void tFunc(void);
     ((tFunc *)0x400000)();
}

Now if the bootloader _only_ contains the above code, the kernel runs
perfectly.
Unfortunately I need to do some things in the bootloader: I use 3 GPIOs to
control a frontal set of LEDs, to get a card number and to load/unload a
serial flash memory. Those operations work. But here is the strange thing
that leads me to believe there are interrupt interferences.

If I just read from a GPIO before launching the kernel, it boots fine, with
a few NFS errors when mounting the rootnfs:
[    4.360060] Freeing unused kernel memory: 76k init
[   11.432269] nfs: server 192.168.1.185 not responding, still trying
[   11.441186] nfs: server 192.168.1.185 OK
init started: BusyBox v1.10.1 (2008-04-24 12:26:38 CEST)
genepy login:

Now if I also write to a 2nd GPIO, I get a lot more NFS errors.

And if I also access the flash through the 3rd GPIO, the kernel hangs:

> loaded at:     00400000 004EA19C
> board data at: 004E8120 004E819C
> relocated to:  0040405C 004040D8
> zimage at:     00404E48 004E7A7E
> avail ram:     004EB000 08000000
>
> Linux/PPC load: console=ttyUL0,115200 rw root=/dev/nfs ip=bootp
> Uncompressing Linux...done.
> Now booting the kernel
>
> But then it hangs for exactly 3 minutes, nothing on the serial port,
> before the bootloader restarts.
> Why should the behavior be different whether it's started from the
> debugger or from my bootloader ?

Now I've defined my hardware project using interrupts on the GPIOs, which I
don't need and frankly they don't make sense for an output GPIO. I would
like to try to compile a kernel without GPIO interrupts, unfortunately the
compilation fails:
$ make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-uclibc-
[...]
  CC      arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.o
arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:535: error: 'XPAR_INTC_0_GPIO_0_VEC_ID'
undeclared here (not in a function)

Question breakdown:
- do I need interrupts for GPIOs ?
- how can I compile the ppc 2.6.25 kernel without them ?
- Why do I have problems running the kernel if the bootloader makes use of
the GPIOs ?
- does the bootloader need to perform some kind of special cleanup before
calling the kernel ?

Thanks a lot for shedding a light on those mysteries.
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/