radeonfb, dedicate memory to something else

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Tue Jul 22 19:05:06 EST 2008

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:31 +0100, Matt Sealey wrote:
>> or other graphics drivers can be told "please only use the first 32MB" and
>> then either manually or automatically, map the rest as ramdisk.
>
> You can limit the amount of video RAM used by X using the VideoRam
> directive in xorg.conf(5).

Ah okay. So now.. how do we do this for framebuffers?

Is it safe to poke around in radeon_identify_vram and maybe supply a kernel
argument videomem=32M and let it check, if it's bigger, then limit it, and
if not, keep the old size in rinfo->video_ram?

Can/could this be moved to all relevant framebuffer drivers?

> GART doesn't have anything to do with this. I suspect he was thinking of
> the PCI BARs not covering all video RAM.

That's certainly not the case here.

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations