UIO not working on ppc405 onchip registers

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Tue Jul 22 17:52:50 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:48 +0200, super.firetwister at googlemail.com
wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Ben Nizette wrote:
>
> > As an aside, you sure you want to do this anyway?
>
> No ;)
>

> > I'd suggest that you
> > just do a gpio chip driver for this, tie it in to gpiolib and use the
> > gpiolib user interface (which IIRC has only made it as far as -mm but is
> > on the way up).  This gives kernel internals nice access to the pins as
> > well through the standard gpio framework.
>
> This was just an example to make it others easier to reproduce my problem. My
> goal is to have a soft spi driver in userspace, which would probably be
> slower if it uses gpiolib. This driver is integrated in the application I
> want to port to Linux.

Ah right, cool.  I donno what the speed would be like, but both David
Brownell and Michael Buesch both have spi-over-gpio patches floating
around (eg [1]).  That, plus the spidev interface, might at least be
worth a try..?

But I'll let you get back to solving the UIO problem at hand :-D

	--Ben.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/290066/