linux BSP

Jerry Van Baren gvb.linuxppc.dev at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 08:20:59 EST 2008

VenkataKrishna wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I want to ………
>
> 1. How to develop linux BSP to MPC8260.

The term "BSP" (Board Support Package) is not used much in linux-land.
By BSP you are probably referring to a boot program (bootrom) and a
linux configuration (kernel/drivers).

For a bootrom, I recommend u-boot.  There are several 8260 boards in the
standard u-boot repository that you can start from and customize for
your board.

If you go this route, you will want to subscribe to the u-boot-users list

For more information, sorted from general to specific:
http://www.denx.de/
http://www.denx.de/en/Software/WebHome
http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/WebHome
http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/Documentation
http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/Manual

Browse the source:
http://git.denx.de/

> 2. where can I start to develop linux BSP.

Right from the comfort of your own linux computer!  (Developing under
Windows/cygwin/colinux is possible, but everything is between five times
more difficult and infinitely more difficult.  NOT recommended!)

> 3. what are tools available in market to develop linux BSP.

I would recommend downloading and installing ELDK from Denx.  It is a
reliable and painless cross compiler (THANKS, Wolfgang & Co.!)
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/4.2/ppc-linux-x86/
in particular:
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/eldk/4.2/ppc-linux-x86/iso/ppc-2008-04-01_freescale.iso

> Thanks Regards
> Venkatakrishna Pari

You are welcome.
gvb